Letter to My Children (November 6, 2021)

Dear Jonathan, Sarah, Josh, and Christina,

Yesterday was crisp and clear. Have been washing up things stored while building the log cabin. Mice got into some bags. While packing up last fall, I was thinking of giving your things to the Goodwill. I have been saving them. The cabin is small. However your father, when I told him my plans, encouraged me to hang onto your things. He said you will need to see them again. It will help you remember who you really are and where you came from.

In the photo (from left to right) Sarah’s gown worn to the Civil Air Patrol gala, the purple dress is one of two matching summer dresses made at the request of cousin Jacquelyn and your sister, Christina’s plaid nightgown (I made it from a pattern my mom used for me), the blanket I made for Christina when she was born, and the gown Bean wore to her first dress-up gala in 7th grade.

There’s a lot more to be washed and hung out to dry, the Legolas cape Jonathan made years ago when he was into bow hunting and riding the horse! Josh’s Carhartt jacket and baby blanket (worn and smaller)! Of course, the photo albums are loaded with pictures, I have 2 big boxes. A few toys, lots of school project papers, news clippings from Jonathan's flying days, report cards. Yup, there’s a lot. But dad thinks you want it, when you come back to us, so I will save it. It won’t be long.

It is okay for you to leave Calvary Temple. You will be alright. Your family is still here, waiting to hug you all. We love you. We forgive you for the heartache your decision has caused. You can serve God anywhere. And you do not need Pastor Scott or anyone's permission. Don’t let him make you afraid. Fear is not the way to live.

Love, laughter, and hugging your mom, dad, siblings, cousins, grandparents, aunts, and uncles…introducing them to your spouses and children….living life the way it is meant to be. Not holed up in a church day and night, with people who don’t really care about you. They are just using you for their own reasons.

Love you,
Mom