Letter to My Children (May 10, 2022)


Dear Children,

Aren’t these spring flowers lovely? Found them while walking in an old cemetery on Mothers Day. God made them. Perfect and unique. You kids were made by God perfect and unique. You did not get to choose what you would look like, or what attributes you would possess. You did not get to choose when, where or how you would be born or grow up. God did that.

And he entrusted you as my inheritance, to us. You all have given me oodles of letters and cards and gifts over the years testifying to your gratitude for your mother. Thank you. I pull them out and look at them. Show them to folks who stop by.

Your uncle said it simply. If you cannot love your mom, see her, talk to her, because you are going to Calvary Temple church now, then your Christianity has changed. Not your mom, not the way you were raised, not us. You have changed. You have shut us out. It’s heartbreaking.

To all the mom’s who have been shut out of their children lives because they attend Calvary Temple Church in Sterling, Virginia; I ache for you as well. You are abandoned for no wrong, but for a man-made system of belief.

To all the children (adult or teen) who have been kicked out of your homes by parents at Calvary Temple in Sterling Virginia, I ache for you as well. No mom to call, to hug, to talk to about life and receive her love and help that is your birthright. No mom to laugh with and tease, to surprise with a homemade dinner or bunch of flowers. Ostracized for no reason except a man-made belief system.

God made things beautiful children, including you. What you are doing is not beautiful; but ugly. It’s not God-made.

I will see you soon. I love you. I already forgive you. Come home.
Mom