Letter to My Children (March 1, 2022)

Photo of some notes forwarded with photos of my kids in Calvary Temple Sterling, Virginia.

Dear Jonathan, Sarah, Joshua, and Christina,

How are you all? How are our grandchildren? Dreaming often of you all these past weeks. Vividly see your faces and hear your voices. You are all sad in the dreams. I am sad as well. Happy Anniversary Jonathan and Carly. Recall how dad and I paid for your wedding, as Carly’s family was not around. You both led us to believe they didn’t want to have anything to do with Carly. But I think now, that was untrue. It was a beautiful wedding, on my birthday. I was so happy for you both. Still have the pretty birthday card you gave me, filled with lovely words of gratitude for your mom. Within a few months of your wedding, you and Carly bestowed on me a lovely pearl necklace, earrings, and bracelet. I wear them on special occasions.

I want to address the other people inside Calvary Temple. Maybe they are the ones who have been sending me pictures and notes of my kids all these past ten years. Maybe some are being pressured right now (according to the latest online teachings by Pastor Scott) to completely cut off members of their family. Maybe some are thinking of leaving but terrified they will lose loved ones if they do.

Calvary Temple, I believe, at one time taught the simple gospel of Jesus Christ. Now it doesn’t. Many besides myself, believe God has written ‘Icabod’ (the Lord has departed), over the doors of Calvary Temple in Sterling Virginia. Let me ask you a question. Do you believe God wants you to cut off your family for him? He just asks us to love him. When you love your wife or husband or baby or parent; he doesn’t ask you to not speak to them or care for them. Imagine saying to your toddler, I love Jesus most, so I cannot talk to you or hug you or care for you, because I love Jesus most. You wouldn’t! So why would you do that to your spouses, your teenagers, your adult children, your siblings, your grandchildren?

I believe God is judging all churches. Yes, bad pastors will face God’s punishment. But so will the Christians, IF you continue to do what you know in your heart, is WRONG. Fear is a terrible taskmaster. It cripples your ability to think logically and critically. It pushes you to hurry, instead of slowing down and thinking things through, as the Bible stresses. Before you do anything, so horrible, as ‘cutting off’ a family member. Please pick up the phone, and call and speak with former deacons, former pastors, parents, and estranged young adults who loved you. They have been lied about, denigrated, had their families stolen from them under false pretenses. You know my number on this blog. But it’s easy to get the numbers of anyone these days. Please do so. And take as much time as you need to get all the stories out there. Pastor Scott is not telling the truth about us. How many have you sat and talked to for a few hours? I have listened to dozens of them, for hours, describing what they endured from the leadership and their families.

It’s mind-numbing. And achingly similar, story after story of deliberately setting out to split apart families. Stop. Don’t hurt any more people! Just stop it.

Please contact me if you have questions or want to hear my story. Or would like to get in contact with anyone else, after all, there are so many who have a story to share. 

Molly (Mom and Mima)