Letter to My Children (May 2, 2021)

Dear Jonathan, Sarah Josh, and Christina,

Up early again, the birds start singing around 4 am. The only person I know who is up at that time, besides me and the birds, is Aunt Jackie. Stopped by her new house yesterday, Uncle David showed me where the newly tilled ground for the vegetable garden is. Aunt Jackie loves the big trees in her yard, and the warmth living down in the valley instead of atop the Warsaw hill!

Last week it snowed at the property, Planted an orchard of trees, Grampa has sited the well for water. Logs arrived and await construction. As the ground dries, will excavate the basement, and Amish putting the pole barn up. But the house will be special. Cousins, uncles, brothers shall put it up, from basement to roof. It’s been priceless to have your Grampa and my Uncle Carl and Uncle Mike popping over to advise and encourage. Grampa has been working right along with us! Hard to believe he is in his eighties!

There are regular visits from neighbors, checking things out. Everyone knows our family. And ask about my family. God placed us in family and condemns all who tear apart parents and children and grandchildren. Encouraging division and separation. It’s horrible. 


Saw this comment from a holocaust survivor. In some ways, the loss expressed echos my pain. It never goes away, the pain of not being able to see you, talk to you. Ever. For years. Only a monster could cause such anguish. And the world acknowledges the cruelty of the Nazis. And the world of Christendom acknowledges the cruelty of churches who shun their natural family.

There is work and beauty to keep me going. But nothing erases the heartache to see my children and grandchildren. I love you all very much. Xo your mom