Letter to Jonathan (May 26, 2020)

Happy Birthday Jonathan.

How are you son? I miss you. I spent the past few evenings going over old cards from you, looking at dozens of photos of you, from your infancy all the way to your family now. But for me, you are stuck in the time period of 2011. Because at the end of that year I was sent away from all of you children. So when I think of you, it is my son before he was a father. Your childhood and young adulthood. You were full of adventures and the hero of all your siblings! One constant sorrow being the aberrant practice of cutting off your parents and family and friends, practicing social isolation in the most severe form. For nearly 9 years now. All to please Pastor Scott, of Calvary Temple in Sterling Virginia.


But tomorrow is your birthday. You’ve heard the story many times. Your cousin Alexandre had just been born in France. I was overdue by 3 weeks, had planted several apple and cherry trees that day. So I had a Pepsi. Our nurse-midwife and good friend Melody delivered you at the farmhouse. Gramma Fitch upstairs saying the rosary that all would be well. Poor gramma! And you, a perfectly beautiful little guy who hated naps, disliked sitting on prickly grass, laughed and loved tractors.


Reading your baby book, I’d forgotten that your 1st birthday cake was cooling, and dads old dog Duchess jumped up and ate the cake! Gramma Beck saved the day by baking you a new birthday cake. We traveled to Attica to celebrate, and celebrated year one. Grampa Beck played basketball with you in his arms after cake. Your baby book said ‘you just laughed and laughed! Hugging Grampa tightly!.’ You loved music, animals, and listening to stories.

Come see us son. Your father misses you. I miss you. Grampa and Gramma miss you. Grampa Fitch too. Not to mention your sister and nephews. Cousins, aunts and uncles. We love you so very much.

XO your own mom