Letter to My Children (April 18, 2018)

Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point ~ C. S. Lewis
Dear Jonathan, Sarah, Joshua, and Christina,

      How are you all? How are our grandbabies? We love you and miss you. Just finished reading The Wartburg Watch (linked HERE), which I try to check out weekly. Stories of abuse and coverup of children and women in churches by ministry leaders are quite a big deal lately. Almost like God is pulling the curtains back. It's painful finding out individuals you respect are not respectable. That they are in fact, speaking out of both sides of their mouth, praising God one minute and the next quietly, secretively abusing vulnerable folks. For those of us who were well brought up, with loving parents and extended family that were safe, like me...it's hard to imagine how persons can lie so convincingly, all the while harm others so easily, over and over, for years!!, without getting caught.
      But it happens a lot. I guess anyway, from the explosion of articles in the news and the churches...of heinous abuse by people in positions of authority upon those least able to fight for themselves.
     Someone told me that I should just enjoy my life, and stop driving to Sterling, Virginia to try and see you. That I am wasting my life. I thought a lot about it. However, I don’t see it as wasting my life. I see it as my purpose. If I am a mom, it is my purpose to be one. And that means continually coming to try and see you and have our normal mom/Son & daughter/gramma/grandchild relationship. Whether or not you allow me in to be part of your lives. I will keep coming. It is what moms do. We love our own children, and we love our children’s children. I love you. God bless you dear hearts of mine.

Xoxo Your own mom