Letter to My Children (January 5, 2021)

Dear Jonathan, Sarah, Josh, and Christina,

You have all contracted the Covid, and your father and I ache for you all. Sad that it hit Jonathan, Sarah, and Taylor so badly. We are told you are still recovering. Please let us come and help you. Dad has to be careful for Grampa, but I can come and help any way you need.

We get this information, as always, through back channels. You have isolated us from your lives, as dad reminded me, because Pastor Scott does not want you talking and being around your natural family. We are one of dozens of families from Calvary, enduring this treatment. It’s rotten. People say Calvary Temple is a cult. I do know you kids, and you all had strong, loving relationships with your extended family and many friends in NY, until Calvary Temple, superseded and took control of your lives.

I was re-reading one of your old books, you should take an afternoon and read it yourselves again. About a spoiled boy, who had to learn that life and family are gifts. And being a good man or woman is the greatest gift we can give ourselves and our families. I love you all so much. But I am so sad and disappointed in how you treat your parents

 
Sunday morning is spent with old friends Chuck and Linda. They had a rough year, two accidents took a heavy toll. They are not my parents, but I have known them since I was 14 years old. When my mom was ill, they came to visit her more than once. When she was dying in the hospital, Chuck came. When he was ill, I went. They always ask how you all are. Any news yet? They are praying you will come to your senses and stop this nonsense.

 
Dad mentioned you were rebuking him, because you thought he was swimming in the pool with one of Gretel's sons, at my home. See now, it’s this silly control stuff that must stop. I do not tell you who you can or cannot associate with. Just talk to us all. Love us again, treat us with dignity and respect as you always did, until Pastor Scott told you not to. Anyone who mocks their mother and derides one's father is cursed by God. Time is so short. You have so much to make up for, and we have so much love to give you all. Please let today be the day. Call, text, write, or come. Waiting with open arms.

Xo Mom