Letter from Ellen (November 16, 2013)

Dear Calvary Temple,

      A little more than 5 years ago my family and I decided to leave Calvary Temple. During our 30 years at Calvary we had experienced many trials and many blessings so the decision to leave was a very difficult and painful one; a decision we wrestled with for many months and even years. The scripture that often sustained me during this time was "Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, 'We ought to obey God rather than men.'"
     During these months and years there were many red flags that we pushed aside or ignored. One was the warning that came from a former member I had known well and was respected in CT until he and his family left. He called to tell us that he believed Calvary Temple, after some legal changes, was now legally and financially under the  control of Pastor Scott. This should have caused me concern because we had been told otherwise by Pastor Scott. Another red flag came in the form of our own observations of the treatment given to people who had left CT. The offending individual or family was ALWAYS portrayed as rebellious, confused or lost. It seemed unlikely to me that every single one of them was now in complete rebellion to God only because they had left CT. Many of these people had been very well thought of just days or weeks prior to their leaving and now were being called reprobate, residue (as Pastor Scott said "we have filled a lot of the local churches with our residue"), backsliders, unsaved, lost, confused, etc. Their families were being divided and even destroyed. I heard Pastor Gardner say "EVERY one who has left Calvary Temple is not serving God."  Many people I had known and trusted were leaving CT and I finally had to ask myself why.
     One of the most disturbing events occurred when Pastor Scott married Greer just 3 weeks after Mrs Scott's death. He stated from the pulpit that God had spoken to him in prayer one night shortly AFTER her death that he was to marry Greer."Out of the clear, like a lightning bolt Thursday, a few days ago, God spoke to me and He pointed out in our midst one of the virgins among us that's to become my wife." And yet a friend in leadership told me that Pastor Scott had spoken of marrying Greer the week before Mrs. Scott's death.  I believed he had mislead the congregation.  In the teaching entitled "Ruth" (http://www.calvarytempleva.org/Teaching/Details/Ruth-200209)Pastor Scott referred to himself as the High Priest. "A very interesting thing that was upon the high priest, however, he couldn't mourn anyone. He wasn't allowed, as you read this, to mourn mother, father, children, and as you read into this, even, the implication being, the wife." and "He talks about the high priest and He says if you've lost a wife, you take a wife. It has to be one that's a virgin, it has to be one that's out of your midst." I remember feeling absolutely stunned that he was calling himself the High Priest. Scripture is clear as to who our High Priest is. (Hebrews 4: 14-16). I believed he was placing himself equal to the sinless Son of God. There were many explanations as to why he referred to himself this way ("he chose to identify with the priesthood, he didn't mean it that way, etc"). In the Ruth teaching Pastor Scott then described his marriage proposal (via his daughter) to Greer and again, I was very upset. I felt Greer was possibly coerced into agreeing to the marriage by such emotionally loaded statements such as "ALL THE PASTORS, there's been discussion; ALL THE BIBLICAL PRINCIPLES have been gone over, everyone's at peace..." and "I just encourage you that between myself and the pastors, we have thoroughly covered the scriptures to make sure that every things that's done is according to the Word of God'. Several of us wondered how a  young girl desiring to please God and her pastor could say no to that? Whether or not it was right or wrong for Pastor Scott to marry a young girl, the method he used to marry her seemed to me and others to be manipulation.
     In January 08 Pastor Scott began a series of teachings on the authority of the church leadership (http://www.calvarytempleva.org/Teaching/Details/Knowing-Gods-Voice-Doing-Gods-Will-200801) It was then I knew I could no longer turn a blind eye to the misinterpretation and misapplication of scripture. I felt as though there began to be more of an open shift in dependence on hearing from God to obeying leadership. He stressed that "God PREDOMINANTLY speaks to men that are placed by Him in roles of leadership" He stated "leadership hears the Word of God from a different perspective and on a different level than you hear it". I could no longer continue in and under a ministry that set themselves in this position. I know with all assurance that God leads us and guides us through the Holy Spirit and His Word. I know that leadership is there to counsel, help, encourage and lead by example, but NEVER to take the place of His leading. I know that even if I a make a mistake, or am wrong about something, God will get me back on track.
     One of the scriptures frequently quoted by Pastor Scott regarding the authority of the pastors in leading the flock is from Psalm 77:20. (You led your people like a flock by the hand of Moses and Aaron.) But I had not heard him speak of the scripture in Jer. 31 that states "it will not be like the covenant I made with their ancestors when I took them by the hand to lead them out of Egypt" nor the New Testament verse from Hebrews that confirms this Messianic prophecy. A very complete biblical study of Pastoral Authority can be found here: http://againstcalvarytemple.com. As I studied the scripture and other biblical writings on church authority, I felt that Pastor Scott was in doctrinal error.
     Pastor Scott has said that often people don't leave Calvary Temple until they are personally affected and I think there is truth to that. It took a very personal event to force us out the door. It was "diploma night", the night Pastor Scott stripped our son (and others) of his diploma, awards, and godly reputation. It began with Pastor Scott compiling a list of young people that he and others in leadership considered unfit to represent Calvary Temple and Discipleship Training. They were given the opportunity to repent. Some did in addition to many others that were not on the list. It seemed to me and others that Greer and Kimberly were in disagreement with the "repentance" of several of the young people and began to whisper to Pastor Scott. Five of the young people were called back to recover their diplomas and the congregation was told that these five were not on the list of those needing to repent. He stated that night and again in a subsequent service that the rest who had turned in their diplomas needed to repent and should be thought of leaven and even wolves among the congregation. Our son had turned in his diploma and was included in this group. We were heartbroken and deeply dismayed that our son was thought of in this way and that the congregation was now warned to beware of him. We were in disbelief that if our son was considered not fit to represent CT, then why had we never been spoken to concerning him? After much perseverance, we learned from one of the pastors that our son was NOT on the list. Pastor Scott admitted privately that our son was considered a godly young man. We requested that the congregation be informed of this but were told "no". We were told to stop "criticizing" him just because a "mistake" had been made. From that moment on I knew I had to leave Calvary Temple no matter what the cost.
     Thus began a very difficult time for me and my family. We left knowing we could lose every relationship we held dear. And we did. (The ironic thing is many of these friends we have lost would themselves like to leave Calvary Temple but they know the cost could be great.) Not only is it devastating to lose friends and even family, it I can also be difficult to adjust to life outside of Calvary Temple. Yes, my church life is now very different from the one I had in CT. I do not attend "church" nearly as often as I once did. Sometimes I only attend one or two actual services each week. But I am deeply involved with the Body of Christ. I have a group of many close friends that among us we attend 7 different churches. In addition, I am free to minister on a regular basis to a few people that are not yet believers. I spend a great deal of time in the care of a family member. I meet regularly with friends to lift up our loved ones in prayer. My pastor is a godly example to me and he and his wife are friends I can count on. I go to him for counsel but in the end he encourages me to hear from God on my own. He recognizes that he is a servant to the Body of Christ but we must each one follow the leading of the Holy Spirit in our lives. Our God is faithful to lead and guide each one of us. I am able to seek God on a daily basis and go wherever He leads me.
     I have experienced great trials in my life but "it is well with my soul". Should persecution ever come to such a degree that we must all flee, I know I am forging a relationship with God that can sustain me in perhaps very difficult and solitary times. We may not always have our "church" to depend on but we always have our God.

My heart's desire in writing this is to speak the truth in love to my brothers and sisters.

Ellen Kusar