Letter to Calvary Temple Member from an Old Friend (January 24, 2016)

Dear Calvary Temple member,

     When we talked the other day, I had a bittersweet and conflicted reaction.  We were once friends (and still would be if I had my way) and my initial desire was to just say hi and not bring up anything that I knew would send you running.  I wanted to know how you are doing, how your job is going, how your kids and grandkids are.  It would have been nice to just say "how was your Christmas?" I would have liked to tell you a bit about how my kids are and the amazing things going on in their lives.  And maybe some of the trials I am experiencing and how God is bringing me through.  
     But I couldn't.  I knew I had only the very briefest moment to speak the truth before you would turn and walk away.  And so that is what happened.  I asked you about a family member and her relationship with her mother and you responded with what I unfortunately expected.  "they are in rebellion and cutting them off is the right thing to do.  It works".  It works??? 
     If I could have just had a real conversation with you, this is what I would have said: You did not always think this way, my friend.  But out of fear, you have accepted the lie , that withholding a relationship with a loved one is how we "teach" someone to love God and desire a relationship with Jesus.  The name of the person I brought up was put out of Calvary Temple by leadership because s/he could not live a lie. This person knows it is wrong to allow a man (Pastor Scott) to control someone's relationship with God through legalistic means. This person was defamed, wronged and denigrated by the words and actions of Calvary Temple leadership. And now the ungodly, hurtful, and destructive interpretation of the scriptures is said to "work"?
     I will wager a guess that you remain in CT for the very reason you state:  "it works".  But not in a godly way.  These actions keep people inside CT because if they leave, they will first be labeled out of order and rebellious and will then be cut off from all loved ones. Everyone in CT knows what will happen if they leave, so they KEEP THEIR MOUTHS SHUT".  Yes, it works. But the ungodly, unrighteous works of man do not work the precious righteousness of God.  They corrupt and destroy.  They bring  a reproach to the name of Jesus.  
     I believe you know very well that the actions done to this person and their family is 100% wrong.  But you continue to speak the lies for the sake of keeping a relationship with your kids and grandkids.  Yes, in that way, "it works".  Fear and love of family are powerful motivators.  Be sure to tell God that when you stand before Him and explain why you did not stand for the truth.

An Old Friend