Letter to My Sweet Children (September 4, 2014)

Dearest Children,

      Just taking a break from shoveling out the barn dirt from the truck.  Dad loaded me up last night at the farm, so we can have a good base to plant the raspberries in.  You know how children love eating raspberries!  Do you remember when dad planted Amos in the raspberry garden, I never ate any more berries from that side, seemed sacrilegious some how, specially since I backed over old Amos on Christina's birthday!  Poor Bean, didn't tell you about it that day, we just buried him while you were at Abby's birthday party.  Poor Candace, she was pretty sad about Amos....remember the gully trek/truck rescue?! Dad and I still chuckle about that.
     You children know how often I would get compliments on my gardens at the yellow house, and what did dad and I always tell people?  It's easy to grow stuff when you have good dirt.  The dirt makes all the difference.  We saw that in Virginia, awful dirt.  When Mrs. Schwartz asked dad and I to help her with a vegetable garden, it was so discouraging due to the poor dirt in her yard.  She needed yards of good old barnyard manure to replenish the soil.  I asked an old lady in Herndon who ran a plant shop about the sad soil, she told me how when developers came into the area  a few decades ago they stripped off all the good topsoil, sold it, and then put up housing and sod. Said the soil used to be terrific when she was a girl, could grow anything.
     So I was shoveling and saw a worm, he was burrowing back into soil, and isn't it neat that God has wired it into a worm to know what he needs to survive.  He needs dirt, being exposed to the air too long will dry him out.  We are hard wired too, to know right from wrong.  God says in his Word that he will write his laws on our hearts (Romans 2:15).  You know what you are doing to us is wrong, everyone who hears of this.......whether they are believers or not, know its wrong.
     We love you so much, not saying this to condemn you but to remind you from whence you have fallen.  Start reading the Bible again, all of it, it is good soil.  The lovely picture below the manure dirt pic from this morning, is Leah's garden (barnyard dirt dad brought in for her), which I took yesterday while mowing the Mazz house.  Good dirt makes all the difference.  Obviously I raised some good kiddos, or Pastor Scott wouldn't want you so bad.  The Lord is coming so very soon, we need to be reconciled while there is time.  Soon we will stand before the Judge of the earth and give an account for every deed and word and thought.  Praying for you every day with tears and love.

Come home.
Your mom