Letter to My Children (June 16, 2018)

Dear Children,

     Remember back in 2014 (http://dearcalvarytemple.blogspot.com/2014/06/letter-from-sydney-june-8-2014.html), dad and I bought a lovely cottage by the lake. The previous owner said it required a lot of ground maintenance. She is a fabulous gardener and had planted perennials everywhere. One of the things I am sure she did not plant was the Virginia Creeper. I had never heard of it, but dad informed me of its creeping, take over everything, nature. Shooting suckers out underground, it is hard to spot and eliminate completely. The first year we were here, I found a pine tree underneath a truckload of Virginia Creeper vines! Yes, we dumped a whole truckload down back of the farm from that one bush (I thought!), which was actually a 12 ft tall pine tree underneath.
     So this morning, Dr. Tom stopped in to take out his rowboat and saw me photographing the Vinca (a ground-cover). I explained that despite regular maintenance, it was shocking to see in the bright light of early morning sun, a bit of Virginia Creeper peeking its head here and there, out of the Vinca. Camouflaged in color and height, I just never noticed it. And can you believe once I started ripping it out, what were maybe six heads, turned into well over sixty! Nothing like the truckloads dumped back that first year, but knowing how fast it takes over, I had to get after it asap. So now, with my dirty hands typing out this short post for you to read, let me mention your sister Gretel recently saw a testimonial written by our Candace. (http://www.calvarytemplemiracles.org/drug-addiction-depression-suicide-hope). Sad as I read it, and called Patty, mom of Joey (Candace husband), grandmother of Candace's two children. Joey's parents & family were not allowed by Candace’ church to attend their son's wedding (although they had attended the church previously for over 20 years). They’ve not met Candace two children, their only grandchildren. They have been ostracized by Candace's pastor and church.
     Just as Virginia Creeper sends out tender little shoots to blend in with its surroundings until it is well established and almost impossible to eradicate completely, the church in Virginia called Calvary Temple and its senior Pastor Star R Scott, send out tender persons like our very own Candace (and you my dear children). Camouflaged to look normal, blend in, and become part of lives. That only will end up overtaken completely by the church, choking off sunlight to the original planting, and ultimately brings decay to the original person. This year is the first year that pine tree I mentioned is fat and flourishing. It was touch and go the first couple seasons, spindly from lack of sunlight and its nourishment being consumed by the Virginia Creeper. I will include a picture of it below for you to take heart. Hopefully, after the Creeper is ripped out, with patient care, new life comes to those affected.

I love you kids, and will never stop reaching out to you. Until you are with me again.
Xo, Mom