Letter to My Children (June 30, 2019)

Dear Children,

     Ha. This photo makes me chuckle. I still recall when your dad told me (while I was put away in the motel)—that Pastor Scott was trying to explain to people that I was bad. Apparently, one of my dear friends, a very sweet old lady, had stood up during the service and said she didn’t believe it. So then Pastor Scott decided to use my pies to prove how bad and in need of breaking I was. He stated, according to dad, that I was baking pies for people and trying to entice them away from God. I know, it's laughable. Who, with any mental clarity, could accept such phony baloney? The only thing that bothered me was that my mom’s and her mother’s wonderful pie recipe was dragged into such an infamous story. Because my mom and my grandma had more integrity in their pie baking fingers, than Pastor Scott and his fellow leaders have in their whole lives.
     I, my mother, or my grandmother have never stolen someone else’s children away from their parents. Also, we make some damn good pies. I must admit.

Love you my kiddos and grandbabies,
Your pie-baking mother